Sex is good, but not as good as fresh, sweet corn. -~Garrison Keillor
1 T butter
1 oz. bacon (preferably a thick sliced chunk)
½ cup chopped carrot
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped onion
3 ears of corn
4 cups milk
1 Turkish bay leaf
1 medium Yukon Gold potato cut into a small dice
1 t salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
½ t chopped fresh thyme
1 plum tomato, seeds and pulp removed, cut in a small dice
1/4 cup water mixed with 3 T masa harina or corn meal
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add bacon. Fry about 4 minutes but don’t brown.
2. Add carrots, celery and onions.
3. Cut the kernels off the corn and put aside. Cut the cobs in half and add to saucepan.
4. Add milk and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover pot and continue to cook at a bare simmer for 30 minutes. Be careful not to scald milk in the bottom of the saucepan.
5. Discard cobs, bacon and bay leaf.
7. Add potatoes, salt and pepper and simmer about 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
8. Add corn kernels, thyme and tomato. If chowder needs thickening, stir in a slurry of masa harina and water.
9. Simmer 5 minutes and serve.
Photographer Bill Brady http://bit.ly/9wFYxm